20-50-100 Years Ago — Oct. 12
100 Years Ago
Oct. 12, 1918
At a joint meeting of the Washington county board of health and the directors of the Hagerstown fair yesterday afternoon it was decided to call off the annual Hagerstown fair, which was to have been held next week. This move was deemed advisable on account of the epidemic of flu which is being felt in Washington county practically to the same extent as this county. The managers of the Frederick fair will hold a meeting this afternoon at 2 o’clock and it is understood that this same question will be take up and discussed.
Volunteer nurses, an appeal for which was made yesterday morning to help in the fight to check the Spanish influenza epidemic in this county, are still lacking. The situation in this city and county is still unrelieved. There are homes in this city where entire families are ill and bed-ridden with influenza and nobody to help care for them.
50 Years Ago
Oct. 12, 1968
Major renovations of the lobby floors, kitchen and mechanical and electrical areas of the Francis Scott Key Hotel has been started by Loyola Federal Savings and Loan Association. The associates, which will move its Frederick office to the hotel location, also announced the naming of two new members its Frederick advisory board.
Maj. W.W. Corbin, of Frederick, has been elected secretary-treasurer of the State and Provincial Division of the International Association of Chiefs of Police currently holding a convention in Honolulu, Hawaii. Maj. Corbin is a veteran of nearly 30 years on the Maryland State Police force and has held numerous posts throughout the state.
The president of the Frederick County Commissioners, in a prepared statement delivered to the local press Friday, said “I think the County Commissioners should conduct an investigation of the expenditures” by the School Board on recent school construction. Charles E. Collins stated that appropriations by the county for recent school construction totaled $829,292 more than the figure recently released by the Board of Education in a report to the board on school construction by Gilbert U. Newby, director of logistical services, a report published in the local newspapers.
20 Years Ago
Oct. 12, 1998
A 10-year-old boy has been charged with setting a Friday afternoon fire that caused $400,000 in damage at Summit Windsor apartment complex at 1000 Greystone Drive, officials said Sunday. The boy has been charged with first-degree arson and is being held in the Waxter Center, a juvenile detention center in Baltimore, according to W. Faron Taylor, deputy state fire marshal. Deputy Taylor said the child poured a flammable liquid, believed to be gasoline stolen from a neighbor’s patio, throughout the three-story building’s interior stairwell and then lit it with matches or a cigarette lighter. The boy’s motive has not been determined, but authorities suspect he was angry at a resident. He confessed to starting the fire when questioned by two state fire marshals, Deputy Taylor said.
A Saturday morning fire destroyed the contents of the Frederick Bridal Center, a shop in the Frederick Shopping Center on West Seventh Street. The fire was caused by a steamer in the alteration room, used to take wrinkles out of fabrics. According to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, the steamer ignited a nearby rack of garments. Deputy State Fire Marshal Faron Taylor said the fire destroyed $250,000 in bridal clothes and other stock, and did $50,000 in damage to the building.